Friday, June 27, 2014

From very roughs to roughs...

I'm just starting to do more detailed roughs for a new book, and remembering how much I like this stage, although I dither before settling down to it - mostly because I forget that I DO enjoy it. I always think it's going to be very hard, and I'll forget how I draw anything... 
so it's good to be going again.



 It also make me think to post some of the colouring in from Digby Dog Delivers, coming out this July. Bit of process stuff!


So many layers! And masks...





Getting nearer... think this ended up being quite near the finished one, colour-wise.

2 comments:

Joel said...

This is really cool! And the sort of thing that's nightmarish to contemplate doing without a computer. Do you redraw your line, or keep some of the original pencil?

Tor Freeman said...

Hey Joel! Yes, drawing Digby is what got me doing digital line in a book for the first time - as I was going to hide stuff in the pictures, I knew there'd be a lot of moving... respect to Martin Handford doing it without a computer!

For past books I'd kept all the original pencil, and just coloured in PS - but for this there's nothing left of the pencil; I just used it to trace from.